Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 09:31:21 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net, terry@cs.weber.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Install issues (was: State of the union speech

Bruce Evans stands accused of saying:

> >I'm  sure you're aware Linux  has this scheme for at  least  a year, called
> >UMSDOS, made by a French guy...
>
> UMSDOS is apparently a mixed blessing.  It is much slower than ext2fs, and
> people tend to keep using it and wonder why Linux is so slow.
>
> We could do demos using a big file mapped by the vn driver to a virtual
> disk containing slices and partitions, but the file systems would be
> very slow (even if the DOS file is contiguous, msdosfs doesn't support
> clustering so it would do i/o's in too-small sizes).

Oddly, I haven't had any bites on my last post about this, so I'll ask
again : I have code that creates a large contiguous slab of sectors in
an MSDOS filesystem, and hides them under a file.  I've explored
what I can of the diskslice code and the like, but I'm at a loss as to
how to redirect a slice to point at this slab, short of rewriting
the partition table (which would be Bad) or writing a variant on the
vnode driver (which would defeat the whole purpose).

This is basically a ready-to-go partition, it just needs water, so to speak.

> Bruce

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[