Date:      Wed, 24 Aug 2016 22:20:04 +0100
From:      Frank Shute <frank@woodcruft.co.uk>
To:        CK <un_x@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Xorg/Openchrome Segfault

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 08:14:51AM -0800, CK wrote:

> The reason I asked the previous question to this list is:
>
> 1. It is difficult to believe a non-functional graphics driver
> (openchrome) could get into the Xorg packaging system without
> proper functioning being tested and verified.
>
> 2. It would appear to be an openchrome problem, but I thought
> maybe it could be due to the GCC->Clang transition.

You've made a whole pile of assumptions there that may or may not be true.

Steve politely pitched it to you that you were using an archaic application on
an archaic version of an OS for an architecture that not a lot of people use
these days and you may be advised to upgrade your system and/or application
software.

I don't know why but I didn't receive a copy of your reply to him thanking him
for his observations and spending his time on the matter.

> Anyway, this has totally 'screwed' my business, since all
> machines use this driver, and none have a windowing system now.

I'm sure you'll be happy to point out what contributions you or your business
have made to FreeBSD.

Feel free to post URLs of commits you have made to src, ports or docs. Any
monetary contributions you have made to the Foundation or to port maintainers
who maintain the ports your business depends on.

Even answers to other user's questions on this list that you have made would
be a start....

Until then: best of luck with your business!

Toodle pip!

--

Frank

https://woodcruft.co.uk/