Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:34:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> > Jordan, I don't know how you think bugs get found, but in my experience
> > they get found by people giving the code a workout.  In order to get
> > a stable "R" release, this means that the code has to be given a workout
> > BEFORE the release - during the "A/B/G" phases.
>
> And I guess I don't know what you consider "production" systems, but I
> would still never bring such a system into a true production
> environment, period..  I would test it on another machine using
> *simulated* load or some collection of my users who were in turn
> explictly BETA customers themselves, but anything more than this and
> you're running plain off the rails and NOT doing what I try to
> recommend that FreeBSD's users do (e.g. "don't run pre-releases on
> your production hardware!").
>
> That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I generally engineer redundancy into my systems.  If I feel that I can
afford to risk losing one system when a backup with a high confidence
level is available, wouldn't you rather see me test the release on a
production system where it will be applied to real world stresses?

It is not exactly playing Russian Roulette, ya know.  :-)  I'd be much
more hesitant to do it with Linux.

Since I am ultimately answerable to myself with respect to my systems
and operations, if I feel comfortable running a pre-release on a system,
I promise not to blame you for any problems discovered while doing so.
I might certainly submit some PR's, though, and that should be what a
pre-release period is all about.

Okay?  :-)

... JG