Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 06:19:36 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tickadj -t not changing tick

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:30:29 +1000, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
wrote:

>machdep.i8254_freq: always exists, never hurts to set it right, but only
>	essential for it to be right on systems using it for timekeeping
>	(2.2., -current on sub-586's and 586+'s running SMP or APM.

Sysctl shows my default value of machdep.i8254_freq = 1,193,182, the
same value one of my hardware books says is the "standard" oscillator
rate input to the 8254.  But since my clock runs fast, my oscillator
seems to be at a slightly higher rate.  So am I correct in assuming I
need to increase the i8254_freq value to match the true oscillator
rate, and the kernel will adjust accordingly?

And besides trial and error, is there any way of determining what the
true frequency of my oscillator is?

>machdep.tsc_freq: -current only, must be right if it is used for timekeeping.
>	It is used on 586+'s not running SMP or APM.

I know what the 8254 is, but what is the TSC?