Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:59:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rob Simmons <rsimmons@mail.wlcg.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   conf/25715: Failure in sendmail.cf creation leaves temp files behind.

>Number:         25715
>Category:       conf
>Synopsis:       Failure in sendmail.cf creation leaves temp files behind.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD mail 4.3-BETA FreeBSD 4.3-BETA #0: Sat Mar 10 16:56:04 EST 2001 acundari@mail:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WASABI i386

When you use the new Makefile in /etc/mail to create a cf file with 'make cf' and you have set DOMAIN() to a domain that does not have a corrosponding m4 file in /usr/share/sendmail/cf/domain the process will not complete (which is ok), but it leaves its temporary m4 file in /tmp without removing it.

>How-To-Repeat:
In the file /etc/mail/freebsd.mc change the line DOMAIN(generic) to DOMAIN(test) and make sure that /usr/share/sendmail/cf/domain/test.m4 does not exist.  Now run 'make cf' in /etc/mail.  You will get the following error:
/usr/bin/m4 -D_CF_DIR_=/usr/share/sendmail/cf/ /usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 freebsd.mc > freebsd.cf
m4: /usr/share/sendmail/cf/domain/test.m4: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /etc/mail.

Now go look in /tmp and you will find a directory that starts with m4 and contains a temporary m4 file.  After the 'make cf' this file should be cleaned out of /tmp, but it is not.

>Fix:
I'm not an m4 expert, I'm not sure how to fix this problem.