Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 13:13:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers), current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD current)
Cc:        core@freebsd.org (FreeBSD core)
Subject:   ATA/ATAPI (EIDE) driver commitment...

Given all the talk about EIDE/ATA/ATAPI support that has taken place
on these lists over the last couble of month, I have decided to do
something about it:
I'm taking on the task of rewriting our EIDE/ATA/ATAPI driver, so
it lives up to the current level of "sofistication". I will also
try to maintain it afterwards, much like I do with syscons &
the linux emu today.
I can not and will not set any date on which this is to be finished
as I have only so many hours in a day, but this is a statement that
it will be done, and a signal to others that if they should be
working on the same thing, they should coordinate their work
with me.

So folks, in summary, please:

DO:
	*) Send me any hardware you'd like me to take special
	   care to try and support.  If you're a computer dealer
	   or serious user and there's a [E]IDE disk or atapi device
	   you're having problems with, *send me one*!  I only need
	   one of each model to support it reasonably.  Send me
	   email beforehand, of course, to make sure I haven't already
	   got one.

	*) Volunteer to help by testing and/or developing this
	   with me! :)

	*) Bear over with me not having more than 24 hours/day, a
	   real job, wife and 2 kids that needs time too.

DON'T:
	*) Expect me to send any of the hardware back!  I'm in
	   Denmark, which means shipping can easily exceed the value
	   of the drive, plus I've got to have the drive for testing
	   new releases and making sure nothing's broken anyway.

	*) Flood me with email asking when this is going to be done!
	   I'll inform when I have something major to say to the
	   world about the project.  If you want to make things go
	   faster, see the DO list above!

That's it, back to work....

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.