Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:50:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dror Matalon <dror@dnai.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Router Purchase - the bottom line

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, dennis wrote:

> This discussion is getting really stupid......
No doubt about that.

> Look...all of the mentioned product work fine...if they didnt they none
> of us would be in business. The original question of cisco 25XX  vs
> ET is a simple one......

Am I the only paranoid person on this list or are there other people
that would not feel comfortable running FreeBsd as a router unless
they were mirroring the disk. FreeBsd are great servers, but if
anything fails it's the disk. I'd rather not have this extra
risk on my routers.

Also, for our customers we're happy with the Ascend Pipeline 130
with built in CSU.  You can get one for less than $1200 it does
Frame and even has an ISDN line for backup. These units
are the same size of a Pipeline 50 -- not much bigger than most
modems. Is a Freebsd box with a T1 card and a CSU any cheaper?

> 1) you dont have to know unix to use a cisco
> 2) Ciscos are fine if you have 1 ethernet and 1 T1. More than that
> they have questionable horsepower....
> 2) cisco are just routers....Freebsd boxes are servers also and
> clearly more flexible and expandable.
>
> As for which card to buy...different vendors have different options
> and features and prices. You have to do your homework to determine
> which you prefer.
>
> db
> Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com
>
> Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
> Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
> Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
> and LINUX

Dror Matalon                                            Voice: 510 649-6110
Direct Network Access                                   Fax:   510 649-7130
2039 Shattuck Avenue                                    Modem: 510 649-6116
Berkeley, CA 94704                                      Email: dror@dnai.com