Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 23:20:49 -1001
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        Leonard Chua <lenc@earth.infinetconsulting.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reliable modems? - How about if I do this...?

} Thanks to the many kind folks for their replies.
} I had about 5 replies in favor of USR Couriers,
} and a couple for MultiTech, and several others as well.
}
} We have decided to spend a bunch of $$$ to do some tests to help us
} decide. So what I'll do for now is to buy a handfull of various vendors'
} modems and test them against each other (various permutations and
} combinations). To speed things along, I'll probably post a bunch of
} questions in the like of "This XXX modem won't talk to FreeBSD, .....??"
} Oh, and if anyone would like to suggest what tests I should include, I would
} certainly appreciate it. Any pitfalls, hazards and common mistakes to
} watch out for too, thanks.
}

This sounds great!  It would probably be helpful to find a few of the
recent comparisons in the press to get you started.  I think Byte did
a (somewhat flawed) comparison, and I think there have been others.

Richard