Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 04:15:26 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <nathan@vidican.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Anyone setup a voip gateway before?

Hi Nathan,

  I've done this before using Cisco gear and in fact have an 827 4V here
under my desk.  Yes, you can use Ethernet to connect to the 827 instead
of DSL.

  I've set this kind of thing up both as a trunk to an existing
phone system and as an extension.

  The biggest problem you will run into is guarenteeing the line
quality.  If your U.S. Office and your Canadian office are connected
to each other with a private line, such as a T1, frac T1, or Frame,
then your fine.  (unless it's 56K Frame or something really slow
like that)  Sound quality won't be crystal clear but it will be
sufficiently useful to avoid paying the long distance fees (which
is what I assume your trying to do)  You may need to run some kind of
bandwidth reservation protocol on a slower link.

  However, if your two offices are connected via a VPN over the Internet,
or are directly connected via the Internet, then forget it.  I know the
Internet Phone people will come out of the woodwork yapping about how
great Internet Phone is, but I think you will find that when people
are paying for their own long distance calls they are a lot more tolerant
of crappy connections if they can get them free, then employees are
who are in a company that's paying the phone bills.

  If you want details then e-mail me.