Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 13:23:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New boot blocks for serial console ...

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > What we're trying to achieve is an environment where the worst thing
> > someone could do is cause the machine to reboot.
>
> Then lock the machine in a room.  You're not going to get anywhere
> close to that by changing the boot blocks and flagging it as an issue
> in this case is simply waving a red herring.

the bootblocks aren't all that complicated, i'm sure you can mostly just
comment out the code that prompts for a kernel and hardcode it in.

perhaps a feature of the bootblocks may be something in boot.conf(?) that
restrics the boot device sorta like ipfw, "allow boot wd0"...

has anyone thought of the implications of sticking a faux kernel in /tmp
and well... nevermind :)

you can also play with the /etc/rc script to disallow annoying lab
students the priviledge of ^C'ing your starup scripts.  look at the 'sh'
manpage and search for syntax on 'trap'

i think the point is so that some wiseass doesn't stick a floppy in the
machine and boot a rouge userland, most bios's come with an option to
disable the boot floppy for convience and a false sense of security

-Alfred