Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 1997 01:33:11 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.dk, dg@root.com, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG, regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

> (the magic number at this address is of course 0xNNNNNNed to jump over
> the header).  Perhaps the boot loader should initialize paging so that
> the startup code doesn't need to be written in assembler (to relocate
> from low physical memory to high virtual memory).

I think we were wondering more about the size constraints on getting a
single-stage bootblock to recognize both ELF and a.out images. :-)

I know you're a fan of our current boot blocks, but this sounds like
more intelligence than can be fit into our existing boot block code.
Is there a secret GRUB project going or something that I don't know
about?  How were the ELFsters planning on booting either type of
kernel during the transition period? :)

					Jordan