Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 02:02:20 -0500
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBsd (reposted)

At 05:01 PM 11/27/2000 +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>On Sunday, 26 November 2000 at 22:18:19 -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> > Jack Morgan writes:
> >> Now, my question: How different are they? I beleive Linux is based on
> >> System V and FreeBSd is based on 4.4 BSD, so what does that mean?
> >
> > Linux is not based on anything, but most try to keep Linux in adherence
> > to POSIX standards.
>
>Linux does have some foundations in Minix, but I'm not sure how far
>they go.  I think things like the Linux device driver interface may be
>related to Minix.  They're definitely very different from the System V
>and BSD interface.
>
> > But the fact most all Linux distributions use a Sys-V-like init, one
> > could say Linux most closely resembles Sys-V.

I agree with this.  I haven't heard it from anyone, I made this decision on
my own.  I have worked with BSD and Sys-V machines and I think Linux most
closely resembles the Sys-V like init at least in the way startup scripts
are run and where they are kept, Init run levels, and the like...etc.

- Jim

>I've heard this before, but I think it's bogus.  Most users don't even
>know what init is.
>
> > FreeBSD *is* BSD. The real thing. Not a clone.
>
>Correct.
>
>Greg
>--
>When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
>If you don't, I may ignore the reply.
>For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
>Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key
>See complete headers for address and phone numbers

- Jim
- NOTJames
- jconner@enterit.com

- | Today's errors, in contrast:                                           |
- | Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935" |
- | UNIX    - "segmentation fault - core dumped"                           |
- | Humans  - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"                       |
- (To view this properly use a non-proportional font in your MUA)