Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 09:00:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: When gcc-2.7.2 hits ctm

On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>
> > Andreas, EVERYONE who uses ctm gets all their updates by mail.  I doubt
> > if .05 percent of ctm users can take a one day 25MB mailbomb. I sure
> > couldn't, the university doesn't give me that much room.
>
> Well isn't it your local FreeBSD box ... what does the university have
> to deal with it ...

Andreas, I can see why you don't understand yet.  Most of the users of
ctm are doing so because they don't have direct connections to the net.
Just like me, they have dial up connections, and have to rely on someone
else's host for connections, and someone else's rules concerning disk
usage.  I can give a Gig of space, but my University account has a 7.5 MB
limit on it.  I think that some folks will have higher limits, some
lower, but the key point is that the amount of space is not under their
control.  No amount of planning is going to allow for a 25 megabyte mail
dump.

That's why I suggested specifically killing the mailing of the gcc, and
allowing folks to separately ftp the ctm update of that one.  No one
would lose synch with ctm, and everyone would just be responsible to do
their ftp aas soon as they can, to bring their systems current.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |