Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 23:38:40 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice 4.0 update

> Just to keep people up to date with the state of affairs.
>
> The new StarOffice 4.0 beta for OpenLinux "sort of" runs on FreeBSD.
> It is currently hampered by the non-working linux-mode DNS (and I would
> like to hear from anyone that knows why it's broken, hint, hint all you
> budding hackertypes out there), spews a million unhappy warnings about
> colourmaps (at least on non-8-bit displays) and falls over very quickly.
>
> In short, don't waste your time (yet) downloading the 50MB monster
> unless you want to work on helping the StarDivision people debug it.

Hmm.  More testing tells an interesting set of variations on the story.

DNS stuff is still, definitely, busted.  But if you run with a local
XFree86 server (as opposed to Xaccel 3.x) it's actually a lot more
stable.

Right now all the menus and text in general is still in German, and
there doesn't appear to be a 'shared' installation model, so you have
the entire 150MB monster in your home directory, but this is looking
pretty slick.

If you can muddle your way through German, and feel like commenting on
features and the like, you should *definitely* get involved with this.

Start at Star Division's homepage, http://www.stardiv.de/.

mike