Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:39:59 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4 builds on -current

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> The answer is that the tools used to build world *generally* aren't
> affected by changes in the kernel.  The stuff that usually breaks when
> your kernel is out of synch (ps, top, ipfw...) isn't needed to build
> world.  Of course, there are exceptions, like trying to run a 4.x or
> 5.x world on a pre-sigset_t kernel.

There's some code that depends on the current kernel version,
as obtained from the preprocessor, in order to build.  The
preprocessor gets this from the sysctl.

This type of thing is rare, but there is caode that is
variant based on FreeBSD version.

For the FreeBSD code itself, this variance is generally
hidden in the CVS repository, under the asumption that
you will attempt to build your userspace from code that
matches your kernel.

I've only been bitten twice by this in the history of
FreeBSD, but there have been opportunities for this type
of thing to happen a dozen times or so.

The bottom line is that if you are going to be following
the code very closely, expect to get bitten 1.5 times a
year (not bad at all).  If you are a little more careful
in when you choose to grab the code, then you can reduce
this risk to two times in ten years (like I have experienced,
using FreeBSD or its progenitor for the last decade).

If you use the chroot method, then the problem will end
up being practically non-existant.

-- Terry