Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:45:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Charley Wen <pwen@sfu.ca>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Can't start X-window/KDE

Hi

After installing FreeBSD 4.2 on my PC I found I couldn't start X-window
nor could I launch KDE. I remember that I was guided by the installation
wizard to set up XFree86. but here's what I got from the command line
interface after my PC boot up.

after I issued 'startx', I saw :
Fatal server error: xf860 penConsole:KDENABIO failed (Operation not
permitted) X Connection to :0.0 broken.

and I saw a number of "Entry deleted from font path". e.g.
(Entry deleted from font path. Run 'mkfontdir' on
'/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/speedo")
Warning: 'font.dir' not found in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi

when issuing 'kde' from the cli, I got
kcontrolL cannot connect to X server etc

and I saw a number of "Entry deleted from font path". e.g.
isn't X-server started when the machine boots up? could anyone please help
me out?

thanks
Charley