Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 1996 22:03:19 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail 8.8.4 questions...

>Shut up and get outta my way, since all you are doing is *hindering* the
>process of making things better.
>
>You *ARE* part of the problem, and not the solution.

Yes, I am a problem because I am not satisfied with the posturing that you
make in your own little sandbox. If you want your system to be taken
seriously, you need to recognize that there is more to a system that just
the code. I happen to think that a major problem in acceptance is
(perceived) (lack of) "customer support". Jordan has made great progress in
making installation more "user friendly". We also need to make sure that we
address other needs of the "users".
Particularly if the intention is to target the commercial user rather than
the home hobbyist, you must remember that they need STABLE, SUPPORTED
systems.

What you call a "release" has, by industry standards, had virtually no testing.
It needs to be field tested for some time before being placed into critical
service. In the interim, the users STILL need a SUPPORTED system.

>ps. Apologies to those folks who think I'm being a bit harsh.  I've just
>had it with Richard's 'pie-in-the-sky' solutions that never materialize
>that awlays seem to involve more of my time and none of his.

On the contrary, I proposed that this effort involve participants other
than the "developers". However, it is your wish to restrict the "FreeBSD
organization" to your closed group which places the burden on yourselves.

You (conveniently) forget that just a few messages back, I offered to do
the additional testing to assure that the changes going into 2.2 were also
appropriate for 2.1.

I am both willing and able to support the source tree for 2.1 separate from
the main cvs tree. However, I do not think that is really a good idea. If
FreeBSD is to gain from any effort to support the reliable aging system, it
MUST be done under the banner of the organization. If that is done, I feel
it only prudent that the master copy of things be kept by the organization
in a unified manner.

And you have now convinced me that, WRT the build system, your offer to
consider a "proof of concept" rather than the full thing was insincere and
any effort that I have made toward developing that demonstration has been
wasted effort. :-(