Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:31:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      opentrax@email.com
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Q] Transient Core Dumps

Just a quick question.
Tonight our DNS server dropped core after several other
program misbehaved. Chief amoung then was one of our
own.

The problems thought seems to be more than one
misbehaving programs. Along with DNS the machines runs,
LiveCam, our video over the internet solution, NCSA
webserver (part of LiveCam), Apache (port 8080) and
Mason.

The machine went into a spin when LiveCam swamped
the swap space, then some tried to send email
via Apache/mason. Eventually, named also dumped
core.

The machine is reset. I've turned off direct
access to Apache/Mason. The machines is now fine.
Granted one (very buggy) part of our LiveCam
has problems, but along with Mason, it seems
that the problems are hard to trace.

The question is:
How do we diagnos (sp?) random core dumps?
I've seen quite a few go by in last days.
And up till now we usually ask for a dmesg
and one other thing.  Any comments?

				Jessem.