Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:01:49 +0200
From:      Frank Nobis <fn@radio-do.de>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, "Lee Crites (ASC)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hacked and don't know why

On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 10:19:02PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > This is almost a frightening message.  We were hacked like this
> > two weeks ago.  How frequently are FreeBSD systems getting hacked
> > into?  Is there even anyone who has stats on this kind of thing?
>
> Not frightening, just depressing because once you investigate these
> incidents you find that in 99.9% of the cases, it was down to one of
> two things:
>
> 1. A security hole introduced through bad administration (someone
>    fumble-fingers a firewall config and now suddenly the entire net is
>    open to the outside).
>
> 2. A well-known security hole that has been announced on Bugtrax and
>    other places but is not closed by the local admins.

That is exactly the point. A few days after the qpopper exloit has
been published on buqtraq, I monitored a few hack attempts at my
gateway. Good for me that I installed the patched version of qpopper
one day before.

Frank

--
 Frank Nobis                            Email: PGP AVAILABLE
 Landgrafenstr. 130                     dg3dcn   http://www.radio-do.de/~fn/