Date:      Wed, 01 Sep 1999 14:05:04 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Smc659@aol.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice giveaway of source code

Smc659@aol.com wrote:

> Heres what suns web page says:
>
> "Our aim is to .com office productivity. We are publishing the StarOffice
> specifications and will make the source code available through the Sun
> Community Source Licensing program to encourage industry-wide collaboration
> on future versions of the software. "
>
> I have the feeling that "Software Licensing Program" speaks $$$$.

You can read about the Sun Community Source License on their web site now.
It is the same license that brings the JDK to FreeBSD.  If they release
StarOffice under the CSL, we would be able to:

1) Port StarOffice to FreeBSD-native without paying them a cent.

2) Return patches to the community.

3) Distribute binaries under whatever distribution Sun allows, as long as we
   don't charge for them, if Sun has a not-for-charge distribution.

4) Create a commercial, pay-for-it app suite and pay Sun royalties.

> Also, note there is no place to download this software nor get into the
> licensing program.

Give 'em time.  It takes a while to get that many lawyers moving.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com