Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:49:47 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beastie

On Monday 29 November 2004 02:21 pm, secmgr <security@jim-liesl.org>
wrote:
> Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > Hanspeter Roth wrote:
> >> The problem here is, that the Beastie picture is disabled by
> >> default. This is obviously not compatible with the majority of
> >> people.
> >
> > You're not up-to-date with the latest events, the beasty menu was
> > completely nuked from CVS yesterday after the most recent
> > complaints and we're now stuck again with the plain old loader
> > prompt.
>
> Why nuke the menu?  I can understand (although not agree with) taking
> out beastie, but the menu was handy, and added useful (to me at
> least) functionality.  Is there some way to tweak it back in?

Is there any way to keep it the way it was? I like it just fine, and it
seems to me that the majority of users like it or don't care. Wouldn't
it be more practical to provide an alternate menu without the logo for
delicate sensibilities? As far as the question of the logo itself, no,
FreeBSD doesn't *need* a logo, but it does actually help provide
recognition. If a few people are offended by it, not much you can do,
except perhaps provide a logo-free menu, if people think that's really
necessary. Same thing happened with Procter and Gamble
(http://www.google.com/search?q=procter+and+gamble+satan), as well as
quite a few other companies and organizations. Honestly, you can't
please everyone, and if an alternate menu is provided, then I'd imagine
any complaints - and it seems just a few people are complaining about
this irrelevant issue - would cease.

- jt