Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 07:38:49 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world error in RELENG_2_2

Mike Tancsa stands accused of saying:
> At 06:39 PM 6/19/97 +0930, Michael Smith wrote:
> >You've still done something wrong.  I am in the process of a
> >'make release' right now, and apart from our CVS server maching throwing
> >a gear in the middle of the checkout it's going fine.
> >
> >The machine running the release, incidentally, has been doing checkout,
> >make world cycles since last Friday evening.
> >
> >THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH 2.2.
> >
> >I don't know why, or what has broken peoples' systems, but it's nothing
> >wrong with the tree.
>
> If there is nothing wrong, why were so many people having problems all of a
> sudden?

There's no "all of a sudden" about it.  These sort of complaints are a
continual feature of the landscape.  I'm just at that point in the
month wher they set my teeth on edge.

>  I would say the lack of the login.conf in /etc was a 'problem'...

It's not a "problem"; with no login.conf you get an annoying console
message - big deal.  If you updated your /etc like any conscientious
worlder you wouldn't even get that.

The only clanger (imho) was the lack of an 'ldconfig -m' with the
update of libutil, and even that was easily worked around.

> the changing of the /usr/include structure was also a 'problem'...  Look, I

Huh?  I haven't seen any include-related "problems" at all.

> miss a post that details a change to the tree structure.... Now, if there
> was a README file of some sort included with the cvsup process, detailing
> any manual interventions necessary in the make world process, this would
> help avoid situations like this.  But blindling blaming the user saying
> there is nothing wrong doesnt help matters, nor is it correct...

The point here is one of assumed competence; you are taking the line
"as providers of the roads, the gov't is responsible for making them
safe for everyone to drive on".  I would counter with "as a careful
road user, I humbly suggest that people take lessons, and practice
somewhere safe before attempting to drive."

I particularly resent changes and impositions (such as attempting to
maintain an impossible README) that are meant to make things OK for
people that are too lazy or careless to learn for themselves.
Firstly, they don't work.  Secondly, they make life less enjoyable for
the rest of us.

> 	---Mike

(I really need my morning coffee; sorry for any crabbiness in the
above, it's something that's been bubbling for a while now)