Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:45:09 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: finstall alpha3

--------------enigE5575292F7931118516FA4FE

Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Ivan Voras wrote:
>> As some of you may already know, I'm working on a graphical installer
>> for FreeBSD 7, which was started as a Google SoC 2007 project but stil=
>> continues.=20
>=20
> 10+ years back when Jordan did first pre=3D X, 24x80 graphical installe=
r,
> soon afer he'd finished a blind chap posted ~So how do I install ?~
> Answer then: ~Get a friend do it for you, or abandon FreeBSD & use NetB=
SD~

Good advice, in a BOFH kind of way :)

The "installer" is actually separated into a front-end (GUI) and the
back-end, with the idea that both be interchangeable. In the long term,
someone may write a text-based front-end, if it is needed.

The actual usability of finstall will come with the more advanced
features, like configuring GEOM RAID, etc. Even now it can set up
UFS+gjournal or ZFS file systems for users who want it.

It will not replace sysinstall immediately, but it might, given time.

I hope to preach about it on BSDCan :)