Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:36:03 -0800
From:      "Dave Overton" <dave@syix.com>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HPT372/RocketRaid ATA Raid Card

I have a RocketRaid 100 Raid card installed using Stable, and a small
problem...

4.7-STABLE was running fine, then the mirror array broke on the card.

I replaced the failed drive, restarted the system, and the BIOS on the
card said, hey, you need to fix this.  I didn't want to wait FOREVER for
the mirror to rebuild, so I said, no, go ahead and boot.

Now the fun part. "man atacontrol" says "atacontrol rebuild - Rebuild a
RAID1 array on a RAID capable ATA controller" so of course, all smiles,
I go off and type that said same command.

Whoops.

Here are the pertinents.

Dmesg shows the array:

ar0: 76319MB <ATA RAID1 array> [9729/255/63] status: READY subdisks:
 0 READY ad4: 76319MB <WDC WD800JB-00CRA1> [155061/16/63] at ata2-master
UDMA100
 1 READY ad6: 76319MB <WDC WD800JB-00CRA1> [155061/16/63] at ata3-master
UDMA100

At the prompt:

#atacontrol status ar0
ar0: ATA RAID1 subdisks: ad4 ad6 status: READY

# atacontrol rebuild ar0
atacontrol: ioctl(ATARAIDREBUILD): File exists

Huh?  The mirror is still broken, as shown by rebooting, but its "READY"
and "File exists".  Anyone have any great big ideas on how to get this
thing to work?  Or is it not really something that atacontrol will
control?

Dave Overton			SYIX.COM
Owner/SysAdmin			dave@syix.com
530-755-1751 x200			Fax 530-751-8871