Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 00:20:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        keichii@peorth.iteration.net
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), chat@FreeBSD.ORG, bp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing freebsd from windows nt without using boot disks

> USD$170,000.00, excluding equipment, for 3-6 months of work? :)
> I think I can hire a couple CS phD.'s for a year to do the job.
> Or, for that money for a year, any committers willing to take it? :)
> Heck, I know an Indian cs.utexas.edu phd. candidate who is a unix/linux
> guru who took a USD$7/hr kernel programming job.  (Yes, he was
> stupid and did not know the going rates for a guy like him.)
>
> Boris, How much is USD$170,000.00 in Russian Rubles?
> And if you do not mind, please give us a rough estimate of how much
> a Russian kernel hacker gets paid an year?  :)
>
> USD$510,000.00 for copyright, code, and one unix-guru's 6 months' work.
> Hmmm, where do I sign up for the job? :)
>
> (just kidding, no hard feelings) :-D

No offense taken.

FWIW: Much consulting is done at the $150/hour level in the US,
particularly in Silicon Valley.

You would be hard pressed to purchase a home in the Silicon
Valley area, with a bedroom and yard for a kid, and in a good
school district, for less than $1 million.

After taxes, $150/hour comes to about $68/hour (state + federal
come to ~55%).

That ~14 years of work, assuming a 7% interest home loan, and
your entire paycheck going to nothing but mortgage payements,
with 0% property taxes, no home owner fees, and no maintenance
costs (basically, it assumes both you and your wife getting
about the same income for that period).

Why, what does it cost for a 3 bedroom, 10 year old house in a
good school district in India?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---