Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 00:33:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        joelh@gnu.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposal to not change time_t

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> Actually, I think it'd be fine to split the extra 32 bits in half.
> Use 16 bits to extend the range of time_t, and sixteen bits to
> increase the resolution of timestamps in the filesystem.

Hmm...

Is there any way the filesystem could force times to be separated
by at least one unit (255ths, 1024ths, whatever), and then only
resort to using duplicate times when it is forced to by benchmark
programs that touch 1024 files per second just for kicks?

This would, I'm sure, be rather difficult to write actual code
for (and fs coders just abound), but...

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.