Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2024 09:08:12 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>, olce@freebsd.org, Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: noatime on ufs2

--=_9423ef4cea3d84be08c8eda0bc982c46

Am 2024-01-11 18:15, schrieb Rodney W. Grimes:
>> Am 2024-01-10 22:49, schrieb Mark Millard:
>>
>> > I never use atime, always noatime, for UFS. That said, I'd never
>> > propose
>> > changing the long standing defaults for commands and calls. I'd avoid:
>>
>> [good points I fully agree on]
>>
>> There's one possibility which nobody talked about yet... changing the
>> default to noatime at install time in fstab / zfs set.
>
> Perhaps you should take a closer look at what bsdinstall does
> when it creates a zfs install pool and boot environment, you
> might just find that noatime is already set everywhere but
> on /var/mail:
>
> /usr/libexec/bsdinstall/zfsboot:: ${ZFSBOOT_POOL_CREATE_OPTIONS:=-O
> compress=lz4 -O atime=off}
> /usr/libexec/bsdinstall/zfsboot:        /var/mail       atime=on

While zfs is a part of what I talked about, it is not the complete
picture. bsdinstall covers UFS and ZFS, and we should keep them in sync
in this regard. Ideally with an option the user can modify. Personally I
don't mind if the default setting for this option would be noatime. A
quick serach in the scripts of bsdinstall didn't reveal to me what we
use for UFS. I assume we use atime.

>> I fully agree to not violate POLA by changing the default to noatime
>> in
>> any FS. I always set noatime everywhere on systems I take care about,
>> no
>> exceptions (any user visible mail is handled via maildir/IMAP, not
>> mbox). I haven't made up my mind if it would be a good idea to change
>> bsdinstall to set noatime (after asking the user about it, and later
>> maybe offer  the possibility to use relatime in case it gets
>> implemented). I think it is at least worthwile to discuss this
>> possibility (including what the default setting of bsdinstall should
>> be
>> for this option).
>
> Little late... iirc its been that way since day one of zfs support
> in bsdinstall.

Which I don't mind, as this is what I use anyway. But the correct way
would be to let the user decide.

Bye,
Alexander.

--