Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:35:56 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        vdue@zen.tc, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 2500 and what 802.11b

David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> wrote:

> >I looked at the possibilty of using one of my servers as the AP for
> >the laptop, but the info on setting this up is a bit sketchy regarding
> >some of the aspects. PCI v ISA, and which cards are supported in this
> >configuration. From the BAWUG page, I did find the info on how to
> >setup the FreeBSD base station, but it references the ISA setup.
>
> >My server doesn't have any ISA slots. 8-) (Abit VP6 w/4.3-STABLE)
>
> I've not done this sort of thing myself, so I won't add to any confusion
> by commenting further on it, except to note that some folks do use such
> setups.

     Unless Warner's MFC'd something from -current, PCI PCMCIA adapters
(required for creating an ad-hoc access point) aren't supported in
-stable.

[ For that matter, I'm unaware that PCI PCMCIA adapters are working in
  -current, although they may be (I haven't been following -current very
  closely).  Also, there are (were???) issues regarding 802.11b
  bridging: you can't do it with -stable, and have to use routing/NAT.
  Hopefully, someone will correct me.  ]

     For now, an ISA slot is *required* if you want to create your own
ad-hoc access point.  If you don't have one, you can't do it (with
FreeBSD, anyway).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com