Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:23:35 -0500
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        Mark Bucciarelli <mark@gaiahost.coop>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom - help ...

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 04:27:13PM -0400, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:

> I'd like to use gvinum.  Are you using it in production?  6.1?

Yes and 6.0 actually.  Next power outtage, I'll be moving to 6.1-stable.

> How did you set up your root partition?  Swap (in particular, for
> handling core dumps).

I have the root/swap on a separate disk, but at work we followed this
procedure:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-root.html

> How did you test it?

Unfortunately, that's part of the problem.  vinum worked really well, but
AFAIK gvinum doesn't handle failures really well.  Until this is fixed, I'd
recommend keeping root/swap on a separate disk.

> My choice is either gvinum or NetBSD Raidframe.  I'd much prefer
> the FreeBSD route.

Same here.  If Linux wasn't so frustrating to use/admin, I'd be tempted to
switch to lvm.  Maybe it's time to look at NetBSD again.

-- Rick C. Petty