Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:43:38 -0500
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Notes, "Boot-time Kernel Configuration"

Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> If memory serves me right, Tom Rhodes wrote:
>

>>You will obtain praise from me, mainly the last note is very important
>>to me as a user, I would rather have little documentation than alot of
>>incorrect documentation.  Maybe some day we can put this Generic kernel
>>configuration table somewhere in the handbook, opinions?
>>

> I'd like to keep this in the release documentation, because these
> documents (e.g. the Hardware Notes, Release Notes, etc.) are tied to a
> specific revision of FreeBSD, just like the GENERIC kernel
> configuration.  (This is why the release notes live where they do in the
> CVS repository, and why they are branched the same way as the rest of
> src/.)  While the Handbook generally documents the most recent released
> version of FreeBSD, it's much less version-specific.
>
> Bruce.
>
> PS.  If one were to take a snapshot of this as-yet-non-existent table,
> put it in the Handbook, and add a notation that it "Applies to FreeBSD
> FOO.BAR-RELEASE, Your Mileage May Vary", I'd have no objection.

HAHA, if only I had the time....  Maybe some day, I will, but I think I
would start from scratch.  What is a possibility though, is a section of
"what hardware does FreeBSD support by the default kernel, the boot
kernel and blah blah.  I am not sure, however, if this is already done
somewhere that I overlooked or not :)

--
Tom (Darklogik) Rhodes
www.Pittgoth.com Gothic Liberation Front