Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:37:00 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mozilla -- No running window.

--z6Eq5LdranGa6ru8

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:29:55PM +0930, Malcolm Kay wrote:

> I installed mozilla-gtk2-1.4 from the packages on the
> distribution disk. This appeared to proceed OK. But when I attempt
> to run mozilla from an xterm:
>   QuoVadis:> mozilla
> I get the message:
>   No running window.
> and mozilla appears to do nothing further.

The 'No running window' message is entirely normal -- all that means
is that Mozilla has checked to make sure there isn't another instance
of itself already running in your session.  If there was, it would
simply make that instance open a new window on any URL you gave it on
the command line.

The next part -- no Mozilla window appearing -- is definitely
incorrect behaviour.  You will need to wait for a while for Mozilla to
get itself sorted out if this is the first time you've ever run it,
but no longer than five minutes maximum.  If you've done that, and
there is still nothing apparently happening, can you check and see if
there if are any Mozilla processes actually running:

    # ps -auxww | grep moz

If there are, you'll have to kill them off before retrying.

If Mozilla is absolutely failing to start (which can be tricky to
detect as it runs beneath a layer of shell scripts) finding out why
has to be a good step.  Double check that the Mozilla binary has all
of the shlibs it needs available:

    % ldd /usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin

If that's all OK, the next thing to try is moving aside any ~/.mozilla
directory you may have particularly if it was created by an older
version of Mozilla.  Sometimes files generated by the older versions
give the newer ones problems.  Then try running mozilla again.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way