Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 01:08:28 -0800
From:      "Ulf Zimmermann" <ulf@Lamb.net>
To:        Dror Matalon <dror@dnai.com>, isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Router Purchase - the bottom line

On Nov 14, 11:50pm, Dror Matalon wrote:
> Subject: Re: Router Purchase - the bottom line
>
> On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, dennis wrote:
>

> > This discussion is getting really stupid......
> No doubt about that.

I didn't followed most of it, because I don't like such high volume threads ;-)

> > Look...all of the mentioned product work fine...if they didnt they none
> > of us would be in business. The original question of cisco 25XX  vs
> > ET is a simple one......
>
> Am I the only paranoid person on this list or are there other people
> that would not feel comfortable running FreeBsd as a router unless
> they were mirroring the disk. FreeBsd are great servers, but if
> anything fails it's the disk. I'd rather not have this extra
> risk on my routers.

No, you are not. I am totaly paranoid regarding moving parts, like harddisks
primary. Ok, a Cisco has also a fan, but in a 2501 it doesn't matter so much if
it doesn't work, if the machine room is correctly designed. And a 7xxx tells
me, if the temperature gets to high. That are just convient things.

Right now I am using primary a Cisco Access Pro card, because it only takes the
power from the PC, and a dying PC power supply I haven't had a longer time.

But it will change to a 72xx soon.

> Also, for our customers we're happy with the Ascend Pipeline 130
> with built in CSU.  You can get one for less than $1200 it does
> Frame and even has an ISDN line for backup. These units
> are the same size of a Pipeline 50 -- not much bigger than most
> modems. Is a Freebsd box with a T1 card and a CSU any cheaper?

P130 is not bad, but 1.) no other routing protocol beside RIP. Ascend promisded
OSPF in January to be available in February. Still nothing today. Also the P130
is a P50 in reality. If you ever open one, you will find "P50 T1 CSU" on the
pcb. the mainboard is marked as "P50 with POT interface". I have heard from
people the P130 is not powerfull enough to handle T1 with primary smaller
packets. Don't know how true it is, but I can image it.

I will will probably sell customer it, because a Cisco 1600 cost the double.

> > 1) you dont have to know unix to use a cisco
> > 2) Ciscos are fine if you have 1 ethernet and 1 T1. More than that
> > they have questionable horsepower....
> > 2) cisco are just routers....Freebsd boxes are servers also and
> > clearly more flexible and expandable.
> >
> > As for which card to buy...different vendors have different options
> > and features and prices. You have to do your homework to determine
> > which you prefer.
> >
> > db

> > Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com
> >
> > Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
> > Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
> > Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
> > and LINUX
> >

> Dror Matalon                                            Voice: 510 649-6110
> Direct Network Access                                   Fax:   510 649-7130
> 2039 Shattuck Avenue                                    Modem: 510 649-6116
> Berkeley, CA 94704                                      Email: dror@dnai.com
>
>-- End of excerpt from Dror Matalon

My personal opinion about Cisco instead of a FreeBSD router:

If the extra functionality isn't usefull for a customer, I give a Cisco or
someother as standalone box. A PC always tends the way to have the need "I have
now to update the OS, otherwise it will not work". Ok, I have seens Unix boxes
>400 days up time, but not very often. While a Cisco router I have seen many,
many times. Also can I change configs easier on the fly with a Cisco or Ascend
P130, then with FreeBSD.

I just wish, someone would invest into a company building low cost routers.
Cisco needs some competition. Then the price would drop and everyone has more
choices.

Oh, one more thing about the P130. At the time I used the P130 for a Frame
Relay connection, there was no real way to find out, how many channels a PVC
really used, Has that changed at all yet ?

--
Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
Lamb Art Internet Services | http://www.Lamb.net/ | http://www.Alameda.net