Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 09:35:48 -0400
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <Chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cable modems

...moved to Chat from Hackers...

At 06:59 AM 6/10/97 -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
>On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Michael Hancock wrote:
>> Has anyone tried out a cable modem?  I searched at dejanews for "cox" and
>> "cable modem" and found some interesting postings.  Some guy in San Diego
>> downloaded a 5MB file to his home PC in 30 seconds.  I also read that a
>> Cox tech is surfing at home with a bsd system.

Cable modems are available outside the city of Boston (Mass.) in the
suburbs, but not close to the downtown area where I happen to live. :_( I
guess the cable providers around here either haven't gotten their acts
together or just don't think the inner-city population has any interest in
this sort of thing.

>From what I've heard, the speeds are extremely good, two to five times
28.8Kbaud on average.  Unfortunately, my understanding is that the average
performance may degrade as more users get onto the system.

K.S.