Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 19:24:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        arthur <arthur@col.auracom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How important is "the OS?"

On 26-Jun-98 arthur wrote:

>   And for God's sake I hope people don't think I'm trying to be overly
> serious, I just enjoy learning more about the computer environment I've
> decided to use. In fact my first installation of FreeBSD was with a good
> friend of mine and a flat of beer, we had gotten the FreeBSD box up,
> running and connected to the net within an hour, not bad for the first
> time out I feel ;)

Hell, a lot better than "not bad"... especially if you were buzzing on beer at
the time <g>...  Then again, some people think even BETTER after a few beers...
:-)

> since then I haven't looked back, FreeBSD is all I
> use for my personal systems. It's nice to have an operationg system that
> fills my needs and desires.

I wish I could say/do the same, but unfortunately for anyone looking to make any
money related to computers (unless you become a Unix system administrator), the
Windows platforms are where most of the bucks are floating around.  I'm
currently on disability and looking to get off it eventually, and I supplement
my paltry income with shareware checks.  Unix shareware is few and far between,
and I'll bet registrations are even more rare, being that you could find
something similar to just about anything you can do under Unix for free, or
write it yourself (many Unix users are also programmers).  Also, there is
simply more hardware drivers, and more commercial software available for
Wintel.  So although I wish BSD was enough for me and I could go back to a
single boot system, it's not gonna happen in any forseeable time frame.  I DO
find myself using Win95 a heck of a lot less than I was, though :-)... It's
just not as much fun, it bores me... but I *can* access my scanner, my sound
card and my SparQ drive under Win95 (and have some cool utilities, including a
RAM drive that grows and shrinks dynamically depending on how occupied it is),
whereas I can't under BSD.  Such is life... I've never run into perfection as
far as OS's go, and you DO have to admit that BSD is pretty lacking in hardware
driver support, especially for the newer stuff.  They say that you should
choose your hardware based on which OS you run, and next time around I may do
that; but this time I'm not going to junk or sell $500-$600 worth of equipment
just so I can switch to BSD exclusively.  Besides, a dual boot system isn't a
bad notion at all.  Pick a preferred OS, use that mostly, and when you need to
do something that you can't with it, use another one.  Takes more hard drive
space, but that comes cheap these days.

E-Mail: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Date: 26-Jun-98
Time: 19:13:50

This message was sent by XFMail under Fvwm2 and FREEBSD.
My personal website is at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html
Take a look if you have the time - something for everyone there.