Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 03:10:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      julian@FreeBSD.ORG (Julian Elischer)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        msmith@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell-7500 + Atapi CD-R wierdness

I have an atapi CD-R drive in my laptop.
under windows I created a disk, using the Adaptec CD-DIRECT
software. (UDF-1.50)

now I'm using it as a sample of a UDF 1.50 filesystem fo my UDF
code.
however I've hit something rather puzzling:

if I do
dd if=/dev/acd0c of=stuff
and analyse that file,
I get different results than if I access the drive directly.
in a similar vein, when I randomly access block 108362,
I get block 108362, but when I access the disk sequentially,
I find that data at block 108366, 4 blocks away.
Does anyone have any clues?
Specifically I've heard stories of CDrom devices having
very 'approximate' seeking, but this is a bit much,
and I thought that was only when in audio mode..

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org