Date:      Sat, 04 May 1996 08:18:48 -0500
From:      Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   MBUFs leaking?

I am currently struggling the the system tune stages after a
migration from NetBSD. Any pointers to info on tuning a system
for heavy use would be appreciated.

I have a system that has been up for 19 hours.
8:16AM  up 19:48, 1 user, load averages: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01
maxusers = 64
#> netstat -m
8422 mbufs in use:
        8414 mbufs allocated to data
        6 mbufs allocated to packet headers
        1 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
        1 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
1536/1536 mbuf clusters in use
4124 Kbytes allocated to network (100% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

On NetBSD, I was in the habit of running my kernels with the
following. Does this have the same effect on FreeBSD, or are
there other things to tune?

options     NMBCLUSTERS=4096

Thanks for your help