Date:      Wed, 18 May 2011 19:01:31 -0400
From:      Matthew Pounsett <matt@conundrum.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Optional Patches

Based on the responses here it sounds like I've been doing nothing wrong =
so I played around a bit more.  I guess in my testing there must've been =
some combination of things I didn't get right... I did a bunch more =
testing and eventually I made it work doing exactly what I've been =
doing, except for the location of the ifdef.

It turns out that in order to make this work, the .if define must appear =
below where bsd.port.pre.mk is included.  If it occurs above that, I =
guess the definition of .if doesn't exist yet and so the block doesn't =
get run at all.

I don't recall seeing this restriction mentioned in the porters' =
handbook, but perhaps I missed it.

Thanks for the feedback.. sometimes just knowing it *should* work is =
enough to help lead one to the right bit of troubleshooting.

Cheers,
   Matt