Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 15:29:28 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/pine4 Makefile (fwd)

In message <39D5A13C.8AF289BE@algroup.co.uk> Adam Laurie writes:
: I find it very odd that ports get so much positive pressure from this
: list to restrict/fix/exclude them when there is a security issue, but
: try and get something done to core FreeBSD scripts/services etc., and
: you'll get shot down in flames... Bizarre...

That's because for the most part all programs running at elevated
privs in the base OS have been evaluated for security issues already.
They have been looked at in detail.  Their sprintfs have been changed
to snpritnf, etc.  Such is not the case with pine.  It runs with
privs, but the code that I've looked at appears to be rife with
potential overflows.  Maybe these aren't exploitable, maybe they are.
What Kris' action says is that you are taking a big risk by running
this port.  That's what his job as ports security officer/coordinator
is supposed to be.  He's not only supposed to REACT to problems, but
he's supposed to proactively find problems and fix or warn about
them.

Warner