Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2005 15:07:23 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heads up: gtar gone from base system

--nextPart7088407.ytAaNEUioH

On Tuesday, 5. April 2005 06:46, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> I recommend submitting a change to the "ark" maintainers suggesting
> they use "-z" (which is implemented by many different tar programs)
> rather than the gtar-specific --use-compress-program=3Dgunzip.

I already replied to Conrad on kde@freebsd.org, but to cut things short: ar=
k=20
(in the kdeutils3 port) has been patched to invoke "gtar" instead of "tar" =
on=20
recent 5.x and newer for a long time now (pretty much ever since tar stoppe=
d=20
being gtar). Conrad hasn't replied yet, but I'm assuming he as either a=20
symlink or an alias in place that maps gtar to tar - which isn't=20
recommendable. :)

Now, what ark does is not calling --use-compress-programm=3Dgunzip, it call=
s=20
=2D-use-compress-program=3D<uncompress|gunzip|bunzip2|lzop> depending on wh=
at=20
compressor is detected or user-specification, so simple patching won't work=
=2E=20
At the moment, ark builds a (g)tar commandline and executes it via KProcess=
 -=20
using pipes instead of the --use-compress-program parameter would at the=20
least mean using KShellProcess instead, which would involve, well, a shell.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org