Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 1998 22:08:40 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Jason <jasonc@concentric.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dallas

On Sun, Apr 05, 1998 at 07:30:14AM -0400, Jason wrote:
> I have just got my copy of The Complete FreeBSD from Walnut Creek complete
> with the 2.2.5 in 4 CD set.

You can't go far wrong there.

> Now I am looking at all this and asking myself "what have I got myself into"

:-) I ask myself that every day... then I look at the alternatives and smile.

> I was wondering if there is someone in Michigan that would be willing to
> help me out with this thing.   Maybe just show me how it works before I
> convert one of my servers over.
>
> I used Unix only for a short time while in the Army.  I didn't need to do
> much outside xwindow or the specific apps we used.  And I have long forgot
> all of that by now.  So I am just your plain old DOS person who regrets
> every paying money for windows.  I guess I didn't learn my lesson because 8
> years later I actually paid for win95 too  :)

Ouch!
You might like to take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials for a
little "revision".  The first tutorial is for people new to both unix and
FreeBSD and it might give you an idea of what you're in for. A few people
here said they liked it.

> Any help would be appreciated.   I trying to setup a small network here.  I
> need something to spoof this mac filtering router I have to deal with and
> get multiple computers on my single internet connection.  I also run http,
> ftp, pop3 servers....mostly on a experimental basis right now.

So just take it one step at a time and it'll all come together.
What are you running now?

Since you have the book, why not just work through it? A few of us have done
it that way. If you get stuck you can ask here for pointers to further
documentation, and if that still doesn't help you can ask about problems on
freebsd-questions.

Don't forget to pick up the errata for the book (see back of first page),
check out the mail archives search facility
(http://www.freebsd.org/search.html) and you might like to read
http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies for some more ideas about the kind
of help that is available already. Other newbies might have other
suggestions for you too.

Now that you've got us all interested, be sure to come back and keep us up
to date on how you're getting on! :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-