Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2023 19:34:25 -0600
From:      Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ld-elf.so.1: /bin/sh: Undefined symbol "__libc_start1@FBSD_1.7"

Have problems updating to 14.0-RELEASE, i have read the notes and all,
also about problems when upgrading.

ran
# freebsd-update -r upgrade 14.0-RELEASE
from a 13.2 system
had some problems with /etc/master.passwd, and /etc/group
there were some
<<<<<<<<<<<
current version
=====
stuff I had to delete.
Shell was not changed.  ran freebsd-update install after reboot
process hung and did not do anything.  I tried
# freebsd-update rollback
and I get this error.  I am checking how to update from source, but I
would need to fix the system somewhat, short of reinstalling how to I
troubleshoot this?
Any advice ? build from source no git found pkg install git does not work.
Any ideas as to how to proceed short of a reinstall?

Internet as working but when I restarted after reboot to install first
updates, internet did not start automagically :(
I had to run some commands even though it was working in 13.2 but not here.
# ifconfig wlan0 up scan
# ifconfig wlan0 ssid NAMEOFWIRELESSPROVIDER here
# killall -9 dhclient
# dhclient wlan0
and successfully connected.
when running to upgrade pkgs I get
root@coolermaster:~ # pkg-static upgrade -f
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking for upgrades (1 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (1 candidates): 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be REINSTALLED:
    pkg-1.20.8

Number of packages to be reinstalled: 1

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
[1/1] Reinstalling pkg-1.20.8...
[1/1] Extracting pkg-1.20.8: 100%
ld-elf.so.1: /bin/sh: Undefined symbol "__libc_start1@FBSD_1.7"
pkg-static: POST-INSTALL script failed
root@coolermaster:~ #  git clone https://git.FreeBSD.org/doc.git /usr/doc
git: Command not found.
root@coolermaster:~ # pkg install git
ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/sbin/pkg: Undefined symbol "__libc_start1@FBSD_1.7"
root@coolermaster:~ #

Thank you in advance

Antonio

P.S.  One machine successfully running FreeBSD 14 after upgrades, ran
testing versions BETA through RC4 and ran freebsd-update to
14.0-RELEASE and updated all packages.