Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 17:35:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@video-collage.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS discovery

Karl Pielorz once stated:

=> NFS hung ups are a strange topic, in my experience. People agree that
=> they are "bad", but one is not supposed to complain about them...

=I remember having a long conversation with a friend a few years back
=(can I get any more vague?) - Where he was praising NFS's ability to
=crash - as it assures that say your running a program on a remote
=system, it will either run to completion - or hang if the server
=dies... This I presume works on the assumption that it helps somehow
=to have a client that's 'hung' in mid-air (i.e. at least you know if
=failed) rather than risking any corruption that might have been caused
=by the server disappearing for a while...

This is true. However, there must be a thing right before having to
reboot the whole system. I must be able to avoid the total reboot of the
client (in which case my in-mid-air app will loose its data anyway) and
getting rid of the hung mountpoint.

=I think you can change this behaviour - have a look at the man page
=for 'mount_nfs' - in particular things like the '-i' option & 'soft'
=mounting etc...

This is different and, AFAIK, it slows down your usual NFS work...

	-mi