Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 21:10:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/13002: attempt to switch to console from snes9x/X11 fullscreen mode locks syscons

The following reply was made to PR kern/13002; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To: Lee Cremeans <lcremeans@erols.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org,
	yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject: Re: kern/13002: attempt to switch to console from snes9x/X11 fullscreen
	 mode locks syscons
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 13:06:53 +0900

 >> However, you seem to be having difficulty even after you quit snes9x.
 >> Would you describe some more details?  When you quit snes9x, do you
 >> also quit the X server and drop to the text console from which you
 >> started the X server and snes9x?
 >
 >When I quit snes9x and shut down X in this case, I go to the console, but
 >xdm never restarts and there's a field of white-on-blue garbage covering the
 >bottom half to 3/4 of the screen. Keys seem to work (I was able to use
 >Ctrl-Alt-Del), but you can't see anything.

 >> >Run snes9x with the -y switch (you have to be root or have snes9x setuid
 >> >for this to work, since it wants /dev/mem), then switch to fullscreen mode
 >> >with PrtSc, try to switch to console 1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1), then quit snes9x and
 >> >try again -- it'll refuse to work.
 >>
 >> WHAT is actually happening when you say "it'll refuse to work"?
 >
 >It'll refuse to switch back to the console -- it's like the key combination
 >is being ignored.
 >
 >> What if you do NOT hit Ctl-Alt-F1 while snes9x is running and quit
 >> snes9x and the X server?
 >
 >In this case, everything works fine; I can switch back to the vty with no
 >trouble, and also restart X without it getting stuck.

 Hmm, I am beginning to wonder if the X server does try to switch to
 vty when you hit Ctl-Alt-F1, but then, changes mind in the middle of
 switching process and leaves syscons in an arbitrary state.
 (It's possible that we cannot switch to a vty when the X client
 is using the XF86 DGA extention.)

 There is a protocol to follow to switch vtys. Under normal
 circumstances the X server and syscons cooperates to activate a text
 vty, according to this protocol.  I suspect that somehow the X server
 may be stepping out of this protocol in your case.

 I will send you a patch to syscons, so that we can get some more
 information during the vty switching.

 Kazu