Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 11:33:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Chris Bura <chris@main.Netcorps.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Chris Bura wrote:
> We've been using Apache as our web server on our BSD machines.  Everything
> was fine untill about a month ago, when Apache decided it didn't want to
> do hostname resolving anymore.

Apache just uses gethostbyaddr() to resolv addresses to names.  Did you
change anything in your DNS back then.  Changed /etc/resolv.conf?
Does nslookup work?

> Does it have to do with the number of V hosts?  Is 125 really high?

It might.  If you're running named on this machine it may be having
problems caused by binding to all the addresses.  If you are running
named on this machine try turning it off and pointing to another
nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf

> Right now we're using the actuall domain names in the virtual server
> directives.  Should we use the IP address instead?  Would that ease the
> workload?

It won't ease the workload but it does speedup startup and reloading
a lot.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com