Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:50:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Mock <jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/20130: Entities missing from doc/share/sgml/man-refs.ent

The following reply was made to PR docs/20130; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jim Mock <jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com>
To: Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:49:26 -0700

 On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 at 00:33:45 +0200, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
 > >Number:         20130
 > >Category:       docs
 > >Synopsis:       Entities missing from doc/share/sgml/man-refs.ent
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       non-critical
 > >Responsible:    freebsd-doc
 > >State:          open

 [snip..]

 > People writing documentation for the FDP are supposed to use entities
 > in the form &man.foo.1; to refer to system commands etc.
 > /usr/share/doc/man contains about 3500 manpages (entities needed),
 > man-refs.ent contains 220 entities.

 I think the major reason for this is that a) stuff that's needed can be
 added when a document is written, and b) it keeps the file size down.
 If we add entities for every single man page, chances are, we'll never
 use at least half of them, so it's kind of overkill to have a huge,
 bloated man-refs.ent file when it's not necessary.

 - jim

 --
 /* jim mock - berkeley software design, inc - open source division */
 /* documentation manager - jim@FreeBSD.org - jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com */