Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 07:55:08 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: When gcc-2.7.2 hits ctm

[ Big CTM patches ]
> Andreas, I can see why you don't understand yet.  Most of the users of
> ctm are doing so because they don't have direct connections to the net.

I have a hard time believing that 'most' of the users dont' have direct
connections.  Some do, some have slow connections to the net.  And some
with slow connections still don't use CTM. :)

> usage.  I can give a Gig of space, but my University account has a 7.5 MB
> limit on it.  I think that some folks will have higher limits, some
> lower, but the key point is that the amount of space is not under their
> control.  No amount of planning is going to allow for a 25 megabyte mail
> dump.
>
> That's why I suggested specifically killing the mailing of the gcc, and
> allowing folks to separately ftp the ctm update of that one.

What would you have the developers do.

1) Fix bugs, add code, make things better
2) Do administration work, and let the remote developers worry about
   such issues (since they are capable of making sure this doesn't
   happen).

You *are* a remote developer if you're getting the CTM stuff.  And, if
you can't handle the mail load of the gcc integration, un-subscribe from
CTM until it all blows over, ftp everything by hand, and when everything
is back to normal re-subscribe.

Everything is in your hands and Poul didn't have to do anything, and
those users who *can* handle the larger email aren't punished either.

Viola, problem solved.

Nate