Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:57:38 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1019926658.950469@mired.org>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Scanner screwiness...

My scanner is misbehaving, and I hope it's something someone here
recognizes and can help me with.

I'm using an Artec AM12S attached to an Adaptec 2903 SCSI card. Said
scsi card came with my CD-writer, and I moved the scanner off of it so
it wouldn't interfere with the system disks on my Adaptect 2940. The
sane-backends port is version 1.0.7_1, on -STABLE.

The major problem I'm seeing is that it's just plain flaky. It
crashes, locks up the scanner, and other evil things. When it does
scan properly, I see a pattern of dark "waves" across the image - much
like herringbone interference on a TV set - making it unusable.

I'd rather not move this back to the 2940, as it sometimes screws up
the system disks, which is very not good. But having it not work at
all isn't much better. If someone can provide hints and/or tools to
help solve this, I'd appreciate it.

	Thanks,
	<mike