Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:44:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, arundel@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: v4l + webcamd + Logitech C210 + Skype (FreeBSD 8-stable)

Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > On my FreeBSD box I've installed webcamd and all of its
 > > dependencies, as per HPS' documentation.  Basically the
 > > webcam seems to work:  I get a clear picture in pwcview(1).
 > > However, Skype doesn't seem to recognize the video device
 > > (I have installed skype-2.0.0.72,1 from ports).
 > > [...]
 > >
 > > There's a second issue, but I think it's not related to
 > > emulation:  The microphone doesn't seem to be supported.
 > > I haven't found anything related to audio in the webcamd
 > > documentation, so I guess it doesn't support microphones
 > > at all.  I don't get any separate audio decvice listed
 > > in the output of usbconfig(8).  Do I have to purchase a
 > > separate microphone, even though the C210 webcam already
 > > has a built-in one?
 >
 > i think sound doesn't work with recent versions of skype, because they
 > abandoned OSS support. you might want to try skype 2.0.*, instead of
 > version 2.1.*.

As I already wrote above:  I have installed skype-2.0.0.72,1
from ports.  It does support OSS.

The missing microphone function is not a Skype problem, it's
a driver problem.  I do not even get a device node for the
webcam's microphone, according to /dev/sndstat.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Life is short (You need Python)"
        -- Bruce Eckel, ANSI C++ Comitee member, author
           of "Thinking in C++" and "Thinking in Java"