Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:08:35 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Paul Herman <pherman@piro.net>
Cc:        Christoph Splittgerber <cs@sdata.de>, FreeBSD-ISDN@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP Auth Problems

Paul Herman writes:
>Hi Christoph,
>
>On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Christoph Splittgerber wrote:
>> now I have problems with a WIN95-box dialling in via PPP. This used to run
>> without any problems!
>> [...snip!...]
>
>You've got the famous "Auth Loop" bug which about 3-4 people reported
>having (myself included).  I could only connect about 50% of the time.
>
>It came in after the 0.7x stable branch.  I tried to take a look at it and
>fix it, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the sppp side of
>things, and I fear that the problem is hiding on a lower level.  I don't
>know of anyone who is working on it at the time.  Anyone?
>
>Two solutions have been proposed:
>   * Use Brian Sommers ppp(8) (aka user-ppp)

Try applying the patch which Marc van Woerkom posted on 19 Nov 1999.
You can find it in the mail archive at www.freebsd.org. The subject:

Subject: Infinite loop (sppp/lcp)

I've seen a report that this doesn't necessarily work, but it's worth
a try.

I know of no-one who is actively trying to fix this, if Marc's patch does
not do the trick. None of the developers see this bug, and therefore
cannot do much about it.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@muc.de garyj@fkr.cpqcorp.net gj@freebsd.org