Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 2002 15:14:50 +0200
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
To:        Chip Morton <chipper@threespace.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: TAD (technology attachment disorder)

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 10:44:45PM -0500, Chip Morton wrote:

Hi,

> See, this is what I've been saying is wrong with you people all along...
>=20
> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/05/27/020527opestrat.xml?0531=
frpm

Heh, nice paper, although it seems a bit extreme to me, I think most
people just "Use the right tool for the job (TM)". Things are not that
bad nowdays, also, most interoperability problems with Microsoft file
formats and OSs are solved. As for myself, I won't write an article in
vi[m], but not in Word either, I've found myself very comfortable using
Lyx and, sometimes, StarOffice.

On the anecdote side, my first half-time job some years ago was on tech
support of a well known 3D program. I already knew Unix at the time, but
didn't know anything about NT, which took me very little time to learn.
The guy who interviewed me considered it more important that I already
knew Unix than the fact that I didn't know Windows. I've never worked
with Windows boxen again since I've left that job, and haven't used it
for years, actually, but I agree that knowledge is power, even when you
can get MCSEs for a dime a dozen :)

When you look at someone with a unix background using Windows and then
look at another person who learned about computers with Win, you see
they tend to things pretty different, most of the Unix people have
cygwin or u/win installed for when you miss a decent commandline :)

Cheers,
--=20
        Miguel Mendez - flynn@energyhq.homeip.net
        GPG Public Key :: http://energyhq.homeip.net/files/pubkey.txt